Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cry to Hashem!

The Beraisa states that when various calamities would strike the Jewish people, they would not blow the shofar as they would in certain cases but would rather cry out in prayer. Truly heartfelt prayer can bring deliverance even when we deserve the punishment that befalls us!
Once, an avreich who had been married for many years without children came to Rav Shimshon Pinkus, zt”l, and cried before him about his terrible misfortune.
Rav Pinkus said to him, “Meet me here at two in the morning and we will see what can be done to remedy your trouble.”
The young man joined the Rav at two in the morning and they traveled to a very deserted spot outside of the city. The Rav exited the car with the young man and said, “You are now alone in the desert, there is only you and Hashem. Cry to Him and plead before him about your problem from the depths of your heart like you would tell a friend standing right beside you. This is your only hope! I shall return in a half an hour.”
After half an hour had elapsed, the Rav returned and gazed at the young man. He remonstrated with the young man, “You haven’t cried nearly enough! Cry! Plead from the deepest depths of your heart! Beg the King with your whole soul!”
Rav Pinkus then got into his car and drove off into the night.
After exactly half an hour, the Rav returned a second time. In the interim, the young man had wept so much that even his clothes were soaked through with his tears.
Rav Pinkus smiled at him and said, “This is what I meant! Now you will surely see a yeshuah!”
The young couple had their first child that very year!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what if you can't cry like that?
what if trying to do that makes you sick, so you can't do it?

what if trying or even attempting that makes your head hurt terribly, makes your stomach sick and you cannot go to work as a result?

what the heck are you supposed to do then?

this seems very unfair.

Anonymous said...

G-d bless you and yours.
i dont think it is unfair, because each of us have our own levels of heart rending cry. It is no less effective. just my humble view. blessings.

Alice said...

That really is not too far off from how we finally got pregnant. Except the rabbi was in Israel while we were in NC and I was cring in a corn field. It worked!

Alice said...

Although I will tell you that now I have a different problem. Five years later after studying some much Breslov material about remaining positive I have become a person who finds it more difficult to let out those negative emotions. Sometimes they just get tamped down instead of being obliterated or dissolved. Eventually, if it really builds up I either get depressed for a week, which is quite unusual for me, or I have an uncontrolled out burst, if you will, NOT in the middle of prayer.

Alice said...

I guess it's all about the balance, but I would love some feedback about how one remains positive the majority of the time yet also allows for the pain in a healthy way- in a way that allows for pouring out one's heart.

Anonymous said...

Sorry a little slow to respond.
Anonymous #1: Excellent question.
Anonymous #2: Thank you for your comment; you are absolutely correct.
I have also posted a more thorough answer of my own.

Anonymous said...

Alice: Wow! That's an amazing story of how you merited children!
Thank you for your truly wonderful question which requires a post of its own. Unfortunately I am "timed out" (must quickly clean the house and work,)so it will have to wait a bit. I will try and respond as soon as I can.

Anonymous said...

thanks micha for responding to my post.(anon 1).


i think everyone has their own way of 'crying' to Hashem.